State of the Global Climate in 2018
The World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) have recently issued their annual State of the Global Climate report.
“This publication marks the twenty-fifth anniversary of the WMO Statement on the State of the Global Climate, which was first issued in 1994. This year’s edition treating data for 2018 marks sustained international efforts dedicated to reporting on, analysing and understanding the year-to-year variations and long-term trends of a changing climate.”
In it they highlight global summaries including:
- 2018 was the fourth warmest year on record
- 2015–2018 were the four warmest years on record as the long-term warming trend continues
- Ocean heat content is at a record high and global mean sea level continues to rise
- Artic and Antarctic sea-ice extent is well below average
- Extreme weather had an impact on lives and sustainable development on every continent
- Average global temperature reached approximately 1°C above pre-industrial levels
- We are not on track to meet climate change targets and rein in temperature increases
Read the full report here.