Weather Observing Stations
73M above mean sea level
Birr Station is located 1.5 Km ESE of Birr Town, Co. Offaly.
The present station opened 1 October 1954. Birr was one of four Irish
telegraphing stations reporting for the British Meteorological Office.
It was operated by part-time Observers who transferred to the Irish
Meteorological Service on 1 April 1937. (The others were Malin Head,
Blacksod Point and Roche's Point). Records for Birr Castle date back
Birr station was officially closed in October 2009 and replaced by an Automatic Weather Station at Gurteen, Co. Tipperary.